The list of Style Guides and other helpful books is long, but here are a few writing and editing resource books that will be useful to everyone.
- The Chicago Manual of Style
- The MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers
- The Copyeditors’ Handbook: A Guide for Book Publishing and Corporate Communications
- The Oxford Style Manual
- The Associated Press Stylebook 2009
- The CP (Canadian Press) Stylebook
- Canadian Press Caps and Spelling
- Editing Canadian English – Editors’ Association of Canada
- The Elements of Style
- Oxford English Dictionary – by subscription
- Ask Oxford.com – Word of the Day, Better Writing Tips, Word Search, etc.
- Dictionary.com – Online dictionary, thesaurus, reference, translation, and search tool
- Wordnik.com – Online dictionary, and thesaurus with a very cool “compare” feature
- Online Guide to Grammar and Style – by Rutgers University professor Jack Lynch
- The Art of the Book Proposal – Eric Maisel (very highly recommended)
JUST PLAIN FUN
- Duotrope’s Digest – Find the right place to submit the piece of fiction or poetry you just finished!